Happy Earth day! This is a time where we can celebrate our beautiful planet. For me, going vegan gave me this new appreciation for the Earth. It opened my eyes to the fact that we need to take care of this planet. I realized how magical nature is, and how we have the power to make it thrive or destroy it. Caring for the earth is a group effort, so let’s take this day to talk about how we can help the environment.
How to take better care of our earth.
- Plant a tree- Cutting down trees in large areas destroys the habitat for millions of birds, animals, and insects. Since trees help in cleaning the air, the cutting of trees increases pollution. The lack of trees will also increase the temperature, since the trees help form the clouds that cool the Earth. Trees are being cut down at a large rate! Plant a tree and one day when it grows big and tall, it will produce oxygen for us to breathe.
- Never litter- Threw a paper in the trash? Make sure it makes it in. Litter attracts litter. It’s almost like a rapper on the floor turns into a free for all. Not only does litter take away from the beauty of our world, it’s also expensive, not to mention illegal! PennDOT spends millions of dollars cleaning up litter. It can also kill plants and animals. So make sure you do your part to keep the Earth clean.
- Recycle- Don’t just throw it away! Recycle it and give it a new life. You can also give unwanted items to friends or have garage sales; your trash could be someone’s treasure. We should recycle to keep trash out of landfills. We’re creating so much waste that we’re running out of places to put it. We want to keep the planet clean for many generations to come; we don’t want to be mile high in trash by the year 3000. If you’ve seen the Disney movie Wall-e, then you know what I’m talking about.
- Eat Less Meat and More Plants- You would not believe how much the meat industry affects the environment! Water shortages, pollution, and of course the lives of animals. It requires 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef. Also the Rainforest is being destroyed since animals are raised on rainforest land. I would encourage people to follow the Meatless Monday movement. Skipping meat on Monday alone will have huge benefits on your health and the health of the environment. You can even consider going vegan or vegetarian.
- Glass Instead of Plastic- Plastic is made to be a durable material. Its life span is 1,000 years! So 1,000 years from now, plastic will still be going strong in a land fill. Glass can be easily reused without releasing harmful chemicals into liquid as plastic does. I’m sure to carry my water in my glass mason jar.
- Use Reusable Shopping Bags Instead of Plastic- Not only are reusable bags sturdier than plastic, a plastic bag can take anywhere from 15 to 1,000 years to decompose since they aren’t biodegradable. Also the cost to recycle plastic bags are so much more than their value that most recycling facilities will not take them, rendering them to just be thrown out with the rest of the trash.
- Do It Yourself- Using recycled materials or home essentials to make things is not only fun, it’s also green. Put your creativity to work and make DIY projects. You can make your own facial cleanser, cleaning products, and so much more. Many of the products that we use are very harmful for us and the environment. Products like coconut oil, lemons, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and oatmeal have so many uses! Get researching to find some.
- Buy Organic- Buying organic from farmers markets is great for the local economy. Plus the produce isn’t sprayed with pesticides. Also buy natural beauty product that have no harmful chemicals. Many of these natural products are actually better for you and of course the environment.
- Get Kids Involved- Teach kids to be green! They are the future of the planet; we need to teach them to care for the environment now so that the future of the earth is bright.
- Educate Yourself- How can we fix the problem if we don’t know the problem? Educate yourself on how you can do your part in taking care of the planet. I would like to encourage you to watch movies like Vegucated not only for the entertainment but for the knowledge This is what Earth Day is all about!
- Be Kind to Nature- This is the icing on the cake! It may seem like a given but not really, remember that the earth is our home! You wouldn’t want to live in a messy, stinky house right? Of course not! You want to keep it clean and beautiful for you to enjoy. The same goes for the Earth. We’re a family; we must take care of our home! Let’s keep it thriving and beautiful for generations to come.
Take this day to enjoy nature… To look at it, really look at it. Let your mind wander as you take it all in; stare at a flower, take a nature walk. Go to the beach and ponder how the moon controls the tides. Thank the great artist that created it all just for you. Go hug a tree!
Wearing up cycled dress, and Muzic To My Ears Accessories.
Follow by Email
This MailChimp shortcode is now deprecated. Please insert the new shortcode to display this form.